An Engineering company has been fined $120,00 following the death of a 29-year old labourer in Pakenham, Victoria on 11th July 2003. The labourer was overcome by gases and fell 3 metres into the sewer and died. The Judge in the case said the company failed to provide and maintain a safe working environment in. No documented or verbal instructions had been provided to employees, no risk assessment conducted or adequate provision made of emergency contact details.
Source: Safetynews (www.safetynews.co.uk)